We are not only what we eat, we are all that we consume. We are so fortunate to have so much information available, but discernment in what we feed our brains is paramount to producing good ideas, and to being open enough to understanding the experiences of others.
So here is where I hope to serve your whole health by delivering quality articles that educate, inspire, and articulate the human condition so we can stay in reality and curiosity. Plus art + beauty + LOLZ.
Here we go.
1. Participating in The Captured Project with Andrew Tider and Jeff Greenspan has been one of the highlights of my year. I went to San Francisco a few weeks ago for a gallery opening of the original works of art. People in prison drawing people who should be. Here and here are a couple of articles about the opening, and the project. Smart shit.
2. “It may come as no surprise that a proper oligarchy runs on the fuel of its own delusions, but now we’re starting to see some of the early neuroscientific evidence”. Here is some of the emerging science on class differences.
3. 44 years ago, Shirley Chisholm was running for president. The very first black woman to do so. Bet you’ve never heard of her. I hadn’t. Until now.
4. Seven year old cave kid drawings. Pretty much nothing at all has changed.
6. If you think something can’t be done. Look how this guy makes unbelievably realistic 3D art by ironing fabric. Now you can get over thinking your thing can’t be done.
7. Loved this article about the savagely clever feminist behind the new show “Unreal”. Especially her explanation of the emotional manipulations of contestants on The Bachelor she enacted to keep her job on the show. “Reality” TV. Harumph. I love it. But I love stories about how it’s bullshit even more.
8. For all of you women who might be dating, know someone who is dating, or remember dating… this article will hit home. For the girls who can’t follow The Rules of playing breezy and disinterested when you really really like him. Dear, Needy Girl…
9. Whatever the prize is for the (very real) sport of Doing Nothing I want to win it. I’m going to start practicing as soon as I finish this post. Stand by.
10. Seriously. If you haven’t watched Jesse Williams give his fire-poem-rally, call-to-the-revolution, BET Humanitarian Award speech yet. Do it right now. It’s only 5 minutes, but it will breath new life into your soul and make you want to stand up. But of course, like he says, if you *aren’t* interested in equal rights for black people: sit down.
12. More Than a Prayer. Mass Shootings and Masculinity. Rachael Rice is kinda the white female version of Jesse Williams here. ::Stands up again
13. Oh lookie. Oregon court rules non-binary a legal gender. It’s a proud moment for my state’s inclusivity.
14. And, so you continue to remember that the highest wisdom in the world is comedy… read bible verses where “behold” has been replaced with “look buddy”. And then let’s bring “look buddy” back into the lexicon for good, k?
Have feels about the reading? Tell us in the comments. Or just say hello. I love hearing from you.